Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Running !!!!!!!

So I have been kinda running now for a few weeks. Actually I started the run thing back before Thanksgiving. For a reminder that was November, back when we were getting extra rain. Now we are just getting regular rain. Plus the snow!


Anyway it's been a slow, really slow progress! To be honest I have thought about just stopping the whole process several times. Just chalking it up too the fact I am getting older. BUT,,, every time I want to throw in the towel I realize that "If" I give up now the next time I want to do something different it will be hard too.


If I quit now the next project will be even easier to quit. I don't want to be a quitter! That make any sense to you? To me it's clear as clear can be! I might be getting older but I can handle it. A few years ago Chase did a few foot races and I managed to make it through them but I got shin splints really bad. Then school started and the running fell off.


I did manage to run the Cooper River Bridge Run and I did really well. But after that I quit! 5 years ago! Fast forward to this year in the Charlotte area, and all the rain! Plus I am finally old enough that I really don't like to clean bicycles after a mud ride that I could've just skipped. I needed something else to do.


Usher in the "Running"! I have had shine splints several times and I finally figured out how to deal with them. Maybe later, after I get several more miles in my legs I won't have to worry about it. But right now I am staying off pavement! As long as I run the unpaved nature trails and the mountain bike trails when they are dry I am fine.


Ten minute miles are where I am and I don't really want to go any harder than that right now. I like being able to get a rhythm going and just kinda being in the moment! I like it when I am just shuffling along and thinking about everything going on. I don't want to be running and have to think about my breathing or my heart rate. I just want to run! Being able to trail run is an even bigger plus!


The hardest part for me to deal with has been learning to suffer through the hard part. Believe me, 20 years ago I didn't have any problem running or running hard. My personal best for a 5k was 18:10, that's moving! I even got a medal for that. Wrong age group, but that's another story.


Point is, it's been hard!! I started and a mile was tough. Then I started doing 2 miles out and then walk back the same 2 miles. Now I have done a 4 mile trail run, that was an accident by the way, and am doing at least 3 miles every time I run now. I still love my bike and plan on riding Dupont State Forest this weekend. But I look forward to the dry trails this year.


                    It really gives you a new perspective of the local trails, running them...

No comments:

Post a Comment