Thursday, August 15, 2013

Now I Know !!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I hadn't given it much thought, I just assumed it has always been there and didn't even think about how it came to be.

Pisgah national forest is what I am talking about. I knew DuPont State Forest was a donation or something like that but Pisgah? I had never even thought about it.

Guess what! Pisgah came to be because George Vanderbilt, the guy who built the Biltmore house originally owned all the land. He sold it to the National Forest Service for $5 bucks an acre back in the early 30's. Because of that we have the Pisgah National Forest to enjoy!

He also pioneered the technique of reforestation. That's why Pisgah has the nickname "The Cradle Of Forestry" they started the whole cut a tree plant a tree thing. Pisgah was the first national park east of the Mississippi River!

Go figure! I never knew all that, now I do!

Yes we had a great time at the house yesterday. The place is incredible! If you haven't been you need to check it out. Even if you have been and haven't been in awhile it's worth the return trip.

We will be back!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment