Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Coffee.............As a Kid...........

You can buy coffee everywhere from every store and gas station.. Then there are about ten different specialty shops with coffee and muffins and coolers and cups with their logo..You know you are a dedicated coffee drinker when you walk around with a 35.00 coffee cup..Then pay extra everyday for the coffee..But then that would be another post all together if you are that vain..Don't even get me started about the people who have their name on those high dollar thermos cups..See the Blue Java that is the organic type..Of all things they even have organic coffee..All that means is they didn't put bug spray on it , and they charge even more for it..Only someone vain enough to buy the stupid coffee mug would be willing to pay for the organic junk..

Now here is the reason I have this for a topic today..For 1 the weather is still to crappy to ride , it is raining again..2 our coffee at work has got to be the worst stuff available to man..We have a coffee service that comes by and makes sure we have an unlimited supply of the crap..

So yesterday I was drinking a cup and it brought back some fond memories for me..Made me and the people who where present at the time laugh to hear my story..

So here is my story , growing up in Lexington KY my best friends dad was a minister at a church and I always went to church with them..Every morning after Sunday school before preaching started all the adults would stand around in the fellowship hall and drink coffee before they went up stairs..No you are to young for coffee is all they would ever say , believe me we would always ask..It smelled so good we just knew it had magical powers..So anyhow his parents would always make us sit in the front pew , so we would keep quiet..Well every once in awhile when we had been real good we would be allowed to sit in the balcony where all the older high school kids would sit..Now remember we where only about 10 years old then..

So one Sunday the stars and the moon where lined up just right and we had permission to sit up top..We had a plan..The bottom of the stairs for the balcony where right beside the door to go down stairs to the fellowship hall , we waited till the time was right and we made our way down to the first landing and when his dad was on a roll (remember he was the preacher) we darted around the corner and down stairs..Score we had our first cup of coffee.......And.......IT SUCKED......

What a let down we were so disappointed we could not believe everybody had been keeping that crap away from us..Why didn't they just tell us it was terrible..I am now in my 40's and only within the last few years have I really been able to drink the stuff..The only way I really like it now is from Mcdonalds , iced frappe with whipped cream..Of all things , and most people would say that ain't coffee..At least the real coffee drinkers would turn up their nose ..So anyhow the bottom line to my story is what a let down..Still to this day I think about that morning every time I have a cup..Its funny how your young memory will hold things like that......

I had a great childhood and have so many memories of Lexington I wouldn't trade them for anything ..Coffee being one of them..Makes you wonder what your kids are going to take out of life..You try so hard to be a good parent and give them a great shot at a normal life and little stuff like that is what they will remember..Makes it all worth while..Don't it..LOL..

Well anyhow you grow up and then ya pay bills..Wish I was still a kid..Hope my kids have just as fond of memories as I do about that period..My mom didn't work until I was older , I say that but she always kept kids..So she had a job.. Looking back and now being old enough to pay my own bills I know money was tight..But as far as we kids knew we were rich..

Here is the grain tower shot for the day nice little Kansas Co-op.......Until tomorrow........

No comments:

Post a Comment